Friday, June 26, 2009

Recipe: Arugula Omelet

I must say that I enjoy gardening almost as much as I enjoy eating... but eating does win out because gardening has time limits (i.e., daylight hours) and eating can be done at any time. When gardening and eating combine, it's really a wonderful thing.

Adam and I got to enjoy the first harvest from the garden on Tuesday. Concerned that the arugula was going to bolt once it stopped raining, I had picked most of it on the weekend, but had lost motivation to clean and cook with it. On Tuesday, we had run out of leftovers and needed something quick and easy using what we could dig out of the fridge --

thus - Adam cooked omelets with arugula, Swiss cheese, and mushrooms. (Adam's also had red onion.) I had forgotten how green-tasting arugula is - for looking a lot like spinach, the flavor is really quite different. I think it really tastes like eating a leaf, generally mild but leaving that little taste of bitter on the tongue.

Anyway, the omelets were so good that I failed to take a photo before consumption; I thought about it after the fact.

The recipe is something similar to the list below - as Adam did the cooking, I can't say for sure...
Eggs - whisk together
Mushrooms and red onion - slice very thinly
Swiss cheese - sliced from the deli, preferably
Arugula - wash, remove lower stems (below the leafy part), leave leaves intact

Pour eggs in pan, layer cheese and vegetables, and cook like an omelet.
Key to this recipe is layer the arugula in a thick layer, like it's the lettuce on a sandwich. That way, you get a lot of arugula with every bite.
Really, this is an arugula dish with a little bit of cheese and egg to hold things together. And it was fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment